Yes, we have turned 5 years old! And what a five years it has been.
Back in 2015 and 2016, when we were just a bunch of new friends in a cafe with a good idea, we didn't dream that this is where we'd be now. Here's some highlights:
- In March of 2017 we officially registered as the Sortition Foundation and tried to work out our strategy for how to reboot our politics and give everyday people real power.
- We gave talks, talks and more talks, and tried to raise money, more often than not unsuccessfully...
- In December of 2018 we started working with the Scottish Parliament on our first ever sortition recruitment project (on biodiversity). This was quickly followed by another, and then many more... At this point we hired some staff (instead of being entirely run by volunteers).
- By February 2020 we had supported enough citizens' assemblies (about 20) that we could hire more people.
- Then Covid hit... we went quiet for a bit... but citizens' assemblies moved online and eventually we kept going, and soon had enough of a surplus to hire a dedicated campaign manager.
- Now, today, in March 2022 we have supported about 100 citizens' assemblies, have two dedicated campaign staff, and are actively campaigning for a House of Citizens in Scotland, and are about to launch a campaign, with several partner organisations, to Replace the House of Lords with a House of Citizens.
Our hope is that, even in these troubled times, we can inspire people and create new, strong democratic institutions that are fit for the 21st century!
Thanks for your ongoing support. If you can, please consider becoming a Friend of the Sortition Foundation to help us make change happen faster.
The Sortition Foundation team