Our active and ongoing campaigning in Scotland achieved significant success when the first political parties in Scotland included commitments to citizens' assemblies in their recently released manifestos (ahead of elections in May).
Of course it's not enough for us - we're demanding that the overwhelming support for a "House of Citizens", as advocated by the Scottish Citizens' Assembly, be fully implemented and we continue our campaign, not only to hold regular citizens' assemblies, but to give them real power. Therefore...
Coming soon: Our Scottish Campaign Video Launch (screenshot above)
Keep your eyes peeled on our social media channels for the launch of our campaign to see a permanent citizens' chamber in Scotland. Over the last few weeks we have worked with participants from a citizens' panel in Aberdeenshire to create this video and are looking forward to sharing it with you soon!
For Sortition Foundation members the following events are coming up:
- Governance Review on Saturday 8th May: in light of our recent extraordinary growth we are undergoing a thorough root and branch review of our internal governance. Members have been sent an invitation last week to join in this discussion.
- Annual General Meeting: this year our member-only AGM will be held later than usual, to give us time to complete the governance review, and hopefully to allow for a face-to-face meeting. Currently we are aiming for September.
Also, here is a list of active groups promoting sortition. Follow the links and get in touch with them if you'd like:
- Australia: Aussie Sortition Foundation Chapter (convened by a Sortition Foundation staff member)
- Denmark: Sortition Denmark
- France: APRES - Association Pour la Rotation et la Sortition
- Hungary: Közösségi Gyűlés Network (co-convened by a Sortition Foundation director)
- Italy: ODERAL - Organizzazione per la Democrazia Rappresentativa Aleatoria
- United Kingdom: UK Sortition Foundation Chapter (convened by a Sortition Foundation director)
- United States: Democracy Without Elections (formally the US Sortition Foundation Chapter)
To help us support the movement for a real democracy become a Sortition Foundation member!